The Pointless H!P Musings/Rants Thread

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: The Pointless H!P Musings/Rants Thread

Postby Jessi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:31 am

boinsie wrote:You didn't know about it because she announced it waaay after it had all happened.
Jun 25th, 2016:
" For all the warm people who supported me, I have some announcement to tell. I found the love of my life on Aug 2014 and married him on November 13,2014. After a year of being married, I gave birth to a cute child on Sept. 23, 2015. I started as a Linlin of Morning Musume in Japanese television that's why I chose the Japanese show called " Fukai ii hanashi" to announce this important matter. The time that I was in Momusu is a treasure to me. So I am thanking you for all the support you gave to me. Because of you, the current Linlin is here, who is very happy. I want you to feel the same happiness as I am. From now on as Linlin, as a producer, will move forward with you! And please donn't forget your promise to me! Please be much more happier than me! Please support me from now on too!! "

Boinsie you are amazing!

Wow Linlin! You go girl! I can't believe her child is like a year and a half and I didn't find out till now, but hey better late than never. I'm super happy for her.
Hooooollllddddddd me... what ever lies beyond this mooooorrrrrrrrnnnnnniiiiinnngggg...
Jessi

Favorite Idol: Sakura, Masaki, Miki

Postby boinsie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:42 am

Also I'm no sure how to say this without disparaging LinLin, but I did want to mention that the mansion money seems to have come from her husband, whose father owns a large company. Her idol group might be doing well, but it's not doing THAT well. XD
boinsie
Guru

Postby jeiwa42 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:03 am

AyuHikaru wrote:Gonna rant about the fandom, so if you don't like fandom stuff outside of jplop, don't read.
Spoiler: show
Duu fans. DUU FANS. Duu fans are annoying the shit out of me with this release. Instead of letting 13th gen have their moment, or Miki have hers - they are bitching Duu didn't get any major parts this single. This is, of course, not all of them, but it's been so many it's getting absolutely annoying. "I barely saw Duu :(" "Why isn't Duu center?" "Are they trying to push Duu back to the back now?" "Why didn't Duu get more lines?" etc etc etc. I haven't really seen this from ANY OTHER FANS. I actually give a lot of props to Ayumin fans here, because in BNM she was shoved to the back pretty much and hardly any of them seemed salty over it. So many people were praising Eripon's moment and more than a few Duu fans actually said "Duu should have gotten that line." like... really? Haruka was center for the last single and has been steadily making her way to mid-tier for awhile now. Jesus Christ let some other girls get the spotlight. We don't seem to have a lot of Haruka fans here, so maybe that's not why we're seeing it, but holy moly it's everywhere else.

That's so weird, with BNM alone, I thought they did a really good job at distributing the spotlight (excluding 12 gen minus Miki, since they were really the ones who disappeared this single: no speaking line, no center time, heck, they didn't even get a syllable). In BNM, Ayumi might not have sang a solo, but I don't think she was shoved to the side/back much and she was right next to Kaedi in the center during the chorus dance, so I never felt her presence ever disappear. Oda, Mizuki, Yokoyan, Kaedi, Eripon, Duu all got a solo. Miki/Haruna (and Duu/Oda) had that spotlight duet post-dance break. That's 9 out of the 12! I'll never forget how common it was just to have the same 2~3, maybe 5 max occasionally, people sing everything and be at center all the time in singles just a few year ago, so seeing a more diverse line distribution is really something I'm pretty proud of, especially considering how big the group is at the moment.
KAE-DID IT!!! I am proud to have kept her KSS photo as my avatar since Feb 2, 2014, three years ago!!!
jeiwa42
Minion

Favorite Idol: MuroMinaTaguKisoORisaKaedi

Postby Jessi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:38 am

boinsie wrote:Also I'm no sure how to say this without disparaging LinLin, but I did want to mention that the mansion money seems to have come from her husband, whose father owns a large company. Her idol group might be doing well, but it's not doing THAT well. XD

I aint any less proud of her though! I'm just excited that she has a new family and job she loves. The mansion is just a bonus.

jeiwa42 wrote:
AyuHikaru wrote:Gonna rant about the fandom, so if you don't like fandom stuff outside of jplop, don't read.
Duu fans. DUU FANS. Duu fans are annoying the shit out of me with this release. Instead of letting 13th gen have their moment, or Miki have hers - they are bitching Duu didn't get any major parts this single. This is, of course, not all of them, but it's been so many it's getting absolutely annoying. "I barely saw Duu :(" "Why isn't Duu center?" "Are they trying to push Duu back to the back now?" "Why didn't Duu get more lines?" etc etc etc. I haven't really seen this from ANY OTHER FANS. I actually give a lot of props to Ayumin fans here, because in BNM she was shoved to the back pretty much and hardly any of them seemed salty over it. So many people were praising Eripon's moment and more than a few Duu fans actually said "Duu should have gotten that line." like... really? Haruka was center for the last single and has been steadily making her way to mid-tier for awhile now. Jesus Christ let some other girls get the spotlight. We don't seem to have a lot of Haruka fans here, so maybe that's not why we're seeing it, but holy moly it's everywhere else.

That's so weird, with BNM alone, I thought they did a really good job at distributing the spotlight (excluding 12 gen minus Miki, since they were really the ones who disappeared this single: no speaking line, no center time, heck, they didn't even get a syllable). In BNM, Ayumi might not have sang a solo, but I don't think she was shoved to the side/back much and she was right next to Kaedi in the center during the chorus dance, so I never felt her presence ever disappear. Oda, Mizuki, Yokoyan, Kaedi, Eripon, Duu all got a solo. Miki/Haruna (and Duu/Oda) had that spotlight duet post-dance break. That's 9 out of the 12! I'll never forget how common it was just to have the same 2~3, maybe 5 max occasionally, people sing everything and be at center all the time in singles just a few year ago, so seeing a more diverse line distribution is really something I'm pretty proud of, especially considering how big the group is at the moment.

I must be spoiled as a Masaki and Oda fan. Although this single definitely didn't have enough Masaki (WHY DIDNT MASAKI GET MORE LINES? I BARELY SAW HER!) :mikihead: j/k

Even as a Masaki/Oda fan I can be totally a DD and really love to see girls typically in the back get more spotlight even if its at the expense of my favs. This single was really all about Kaedi and Yokoyama and I'm glad for them because they deserved a good debut single.
Hooooollllddddddd me... what ever lies beyond this mooooorrrrrrrrnnnnnniiiiinnngggg...
Jessi

Favorite Idol: Sakura, Masaki, Miki

Postby AyuHikaru » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:28 am

#justiceformaachan :hehe:
AyuHikaru
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Harunan, Murotan

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Not to get involved in this discussion, but I'm also a die-hard duu/daishi fan but... I don't go around like that all "whyyyyyyyy" >_> Also, I'd love to know where you see these people because they're definitely not on Jplop :O (is it H!O? lol)
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby AyuHikaru » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:08 am

CaptainBerryzGiraffe wrote:Not to get involved in this discussion, but I'm also a die-hard duu/daishi fan but... I don't go around like that all "whyyyyyyyy" >_> Also, I'd love to know where you see these people because they're definitely not on Jplop :O (is it H!O? lol)

Overall Jplop seems relatively reasonable, probably the least sensationalizing part of the fandom. By that I mean it's members seem less likely to outright blast a member and more talk about - respectfully - why they don't like someone and much more willing to give credit when is do when that person does something well. Even Starra saying she dislikes Masaki isn't bad, she doesn't do it in a disrespectful or mean spirited way and she doesn't get mad if you call her out on it. And Starra is the most vocal about who she dislikes. I'd say we have negative discussions (Who can't sing, who can't dance, who's boring, etc etc) but we never get negative ourselves ("FUCK AYUMI I HATE HER" type stuff). But that's an aside, any more discussion on that needs to go in the Member extra section.

FOR THE REST
It's on H!O and on Tumblr. Some of it is on Twitter too. I've even seen it on Facebook. It's not a specific place or I would have put it in said forum above, since there's a thread there for that. Next time I complain, I'm gonna get receipts damnit!

Now just popularity conjecture:
I am starting to think that a lot of passionate Zukki fans switched over to Duu, but I'm not sure on that since I don't have enough examples. I do know in the Western Fandom Duu fans have become extremely vocal lately. I don't know if that's because her popularity increased or not though, I'm not really sure how popular Duu ever was. She was always in that grey area where no one really hated her so you don't know how many people she an Oshi of. Even in New York and Houston, my experience was colored by that ONE guy who was very clearly a Duu fan (You know the one if you've been there) and he was so noticeable I didn't much pay attention to any other Duu fan lol. I can actually say that for the Eastern Fandom as well. Duu has always been a mystery to me. Like, I can tell Akane isn't that popular, and Harunan isn't too popular (Though I did see an increase in Yellow glowsticks at Houston so hopefully that's a trend =D) and I can tell Maachan and Ayumi are SUPER popular. I dunno about Duu though, maybe someone has better insight than me on her.
AyuHikaru
Devotee

Postby Zunu » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 pm

H!P should just go ahead and unobtrusively slip Kokoro into one of the mainline groups when nobody's looking. Like, suddenly you start to notice her in the back in the Jealousy, Jealousy PV. They must've reshot the video, you think. Then, you start noticing older videos. Isn't that her preening her whiskers in Sexy Cat? Dancing next to Zukki in Utakata? Showing off her rock-hard abs in Sukatto? Twirling her umbrella in her solo classic Shaba Daba Do? Wait, how far back does this go????
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

Postby Starra » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:55 pm

But there are so many other KSS I'd rather have debut over her..... She's not my type, lol.

KSS I want to debut the most at the moment: Momohime holy fuck, Kirara, Ruru (she deserves it), Rin, Kawamura, Kanatsu, Yuhane, if we're counting Hokkaido KSS then also Mei and Ryou...
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・上國料萌衣・清野桃々姫・山﨑愛生・鞘師里保・須藤茉麻♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby Zunu » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:29 pm

^ Some of those girls need to debut, I agree, but as we discussed before, IMO they would do better in their own age appropriate groups, not with girls 10 years their senior who they would unfairly draw attention from. It's hard for groups to be well-balanced. Even now, as much as I love Masaki, I feel that MM 17 has slightly benefited from her absence. Girls who would otherwise make way for her outsized personality are stepping up and showcasing their own talents a bit more.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

Postby Moh » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Zunu wrote:H!P should just go ahead and unobtrusively slip Kokoro into one of the mainline groups when nobody's looking.

I would support this. :fear: Or my dream squishy-faced duo of her and Kotomi Ono.
Moh
Prophet

Postby Starra » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Zunu wrote:^ Some of those girls need to debut, I agree, but as we discussed before, IMO they would do better in their own age appropriate groups, not with girls 10 years their senior who they would unfairly draw attention from. It's hard for groups to be well-balanced. Even now, as much as I love Masaki, I feel that MM 17 has slightly benefited from her absence. Girls who would otherwise make way for her outsized personality are stepping up and showcasing their own talents a bit more.

This is true. In my dream world every KSS would manage to debut eventually but that's impossible, lol.

I selfishly want Momohime in MM。, but honestly she'd probably work better in Country Girls with members like Nanami. Kirara and Mei would be okay there too. Kokoro kinda feels like an ANGERME member over MM。to be but Idk. Also, I wouldn't be against her debuting, she's just not one of my faves.
Starra
Prophet

Postby 321BreakinOut » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:36 pm

Imagine if Hirano Tomomi ever made a debut ? :mikihead:
321BreakinOut
Devoted Devotee

Postby Starra » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:06 pm

She should've, dammit :razz:.
Starra
Prophet

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:17 am

So I noticed the discussion peeople were having about oharu's "gaining weight" discussion and now, as I'm watching J J, I saw this shot and thought "damn, it's definitely true"
Her hands definitely look less... boney? (starra's profile picture for reference) and her head has more roundness to it!
I'm actually kinda glad this change it happening, she was looking a bit too under tbh
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby Chibs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:01 am

She looks great, more Riho roundness to her
ImageImage
Chibs

Favorite Idol: Eri Kamei

Postby AyuHikaru » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:44 am

As I said before, she looks pretty great now. Yeah she lost a bit of sharpness in her features but they're def. still there. Her arms look so much healthier.

I've noticed it takes about 2-ish years for changes in the girls' bodies to show from being in the industry. Harunan did the same thing.
AyuHikaru
Devotee

Postby koregaboku » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:00 pm

Not what I came for but part of me wonders if being an idol uses drastically different muscles than being a figure skater because that would explain a lot...

Back to why I did come to the thread/this is going to be quite a stream of consciousness because I've been checked out of H!P for awhile so today's post will focus on MM. I think I'll just start generationally up and down since that might be easiest:

Mizuki:
I've always been a fan. Next to Riho she was my favorite 9ki and probably my current second favorite, behind Masaki. What I wonder (and it's not really all that important because what I'd be proposing is a counterfactual (parallel world, hypothesized world... Economics term I can't remember if counterfactual is correct for)) is whether Mizuki would be a front-girl in any previous incarnation of MM? I hate to say it but i don't think she has the natural "It" factor that front girls like Riho and Reina had (say what you will about Reina's lazy performances but she still had "It"). I think in any other incarnation, Mizuki would've been a solid Kame-level B-Girl. Not pushed to the corners like 8ki but definitely not a consistent lead.

Eripon:
Gotta say, I'm impressed with how far she's come. She'll never be a lead girl (except maybe for her grad single?) but there's definitely technique (? I hate saying technique because I'm not educated in vocals but it's the only way I know how to describe it) to her singing now. She's also benefiting hugely from the idol transformation and physically looks like she could transition into a magazine model.

Ayumi:
Still not really feeling her voice. She's easily the best dancer but her voice still lacks a layers (?) or depth (?). I can't explain it well but I will say her voice seems best suited to doing raps like in Jealousy Jealousy.

Haruna:
Most improved? Haruna really is a testament what day-in and day-out training can do. Some individuals might have inherent talent but I think Haruna shows that if you're committed (and consistent) that anyone can improve. I actually quite like Haruna's singing voice and watching her Brand New Morning recording session it was obvious that she tries very hard and that's always endearing to see as a fan.

Kudo:
I think Duu might (currently) have the most naturally pleasant singing voice in MM. right now. The issue I have is the opposite of what makes Haruna so endearing; I think Duu knows she's talented and more talented than the other girls. The girls joke anecdotally about how narcissistic Kudo is but I think she really might be. The best I can explain it is that during her recording of BNM she didn't seem to be "on". Granted it might just be how it was recorded but compared to how hard Haruna appeared to be trying that just didn't come across with Haruna.

Masaki:
:( It makes me sad that she's out but appreciative that UF* is letting her because they really don't seem to want to repeat Aika's situation. That being said, front girl material. Front girl charm. Front girl talent.

Sakura:
For the longest time the image of Sakura only being given lines to belt-out (Help Me!!, Brainstorming) that she seemed one dimensional. Lately though she seems to be taking on a lot softer (?) of lines which is changing my impression of her. Also, as of late, her styling has gotten tremendously better.

Akane:
I don't get it. She seems to fade in the background. She looks exactly the same as when she joined.

Oharu:
Visually stunning, same issue as Akane.

Maria:
I get why they're pushing her. She's gorgeous. That's all I really got though?

Miki:
I'm torn. One one hand she seems to be the most talented 12ki but on the other I wonder if H!P is pulling a Mika Todd and exploiting Miki for her English skills. She definitely got lines in English in Jealousy Jealousy but I hope that's not all she gets. I also get the impression that Miki wants to be closer to the center and will do everything in her power to do so, which I like.

Kaga/Yokoyama:
Not much to say yet but from first impressions it seems Yokoyama might be getting a little harder of a push than Kaga? Regardless neither seem green or amateurish. They blended right into the group.

ANNNNND done.
koregaboku
Psychic

Favorite Idol: Airiiiiii <3

Postby Starra » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Am I the only one who hates Oharu as a nickname? I've only ever seen English speaking fans use it and it looks... ugly, lol. Haachin isn't the greatest of nicknames ever though to be fair :lol:. Not trying to be nasty to people who use it, of course.

Also I would say that Ogata was as skinny as she was because of the figure skating, yeah. Even if she hadn't been doing it for a while she was probably subconsciously trying to keep the same figure to an extent and figure skaters are usually pretty skinny. Though there was a period last year where she looked too thin almost, so I'm glad she's a healthier looking weight at the moment. I do think she suffers from having super big hands and really skinny wrists which probably makes her look thinner, too. But so long as she's healthy I don't really care at all, although I have noticed her rounder face etc too.
Starra
Prophet

Postby erilaz » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:26 pm

^ "Oharu" makes me think of the names of women in jidaigeki, like O-hana, O-yuki, O-gin, etc. O-haru was certainly a name of that sort.
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project