Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Postby Zunu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:33 am

Yeah Starra, I don't think you should be so quick to ditch the Mac platform entirely when it sounds like you just need a more recent model to play the games perform the tasks you want. Even I as a zealot realize that Windows comes with its own share of headaches, very big ones. At the very least, before you decide to take the plunge, perhaps on your current Macbook run one of the various Windows VM's described above on your current MacBook for a while, as your exclusive OS (to the extent possible), and see if you can tolerate the experience.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

Postby Starra » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Celedam wrote:
Starra wrote:3 years old now

Five years old. You should count from when the model was released, not from when you actually bought it, if you want to compare it with other models.

I never thought about that way, but it makes complete sense. That actually makes me feel much better about it dying, then -- it's lived its expected lifespan.

Those specs are the weird mix that you can only get in a 13-inch MacBook Pro: great processor and memory, even by today's standards, but mediocre graphics because you can't fit anything more powerful into such a small chassis. And that's why you can't run The Sims 4 well. Those videos to which Zunu linked showed models that were released after yours.

It was The Sims 3, actually :fear:. I wouldn't expect it to run 4 at all.

Replacing the battery should cost only a couple hundred dollars, or whatever the equivalent is down under, maybe less if you're willing to do the work yourself. And while you have the case open, you could also replace the hard drive. There are online stores that sell all the parts you need. But if you feel it's not worth putting more money into, so be it. That model should still be worth a fair amount on the used market…

I think at this point I'll just get something new. Like I said, other bits will start failing eventually even if I do replace the battery. Plus, I'll have to take it to another city to get fixed, which isn't that big of a deal but it's another factor.

I figure that it's had a good run, but I don't want to keep having to replace parts when I could just spend the money (well, a bit more, but y'know) on a "better", newer laptop.

Anything new will run everything better, so the only determining factors are Mac-versus-Windows and how much you're willing to spend on either. And like I said earlier, a Mac can also run Windows. I do it every day. I'm doing it right now. *swipes left to switch to Windows running in Parallels*

That's probably what I'll end up doing, now that I've thought about it more. I don't trust my current MBP to handle it, but I'll most likely get a new MacBook and test Windows on that.

Zunu wrote:Yeah Starra, I don't think you should be so quick to ditch the Mac platform entirely when it sounds like you just need a more recent model to play the games perform the tasks you want. Even I as a zealot realize that Windows comes with its own share of headaches, very big ones. At the very least, before you decide to take the plunge, perhaps on your current Macbook run one of the various Windows VM's described above on your current MacBook for a while, as your exclusive OS (to the extent possible), and see if you can tolerate the experience.

Fair enough. I'm not saying I want to leave the Mac ecosphere, just that I'm willing to give Windows a shot. I realise that neither are perfect and it all comes down to personal preference (and probably what you initially used). I still like macOS, but I don't know if I trust Apple as a company all that much any more. Not that I trust Microsoft either, of course :lol:.
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・上國料萌衣・清野桃々姫・山﨑愛生・鞘師里保・須藤茉麻♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Starra: In my experience TS3 doesn't run well (for very long) on much of anything. I've seen people with high end gaming computers get it up and going for a while but eventually it gets mixed up with itself and there are always problems with it, or it requires mods to run "properly". The game just feels heavy, it's badly optimized, and the world system especially bogs everything down. You'd probably be better off trying to run TS4, even on a somewhat older computer.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devotee

Postby Shoujo Q » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:06 am

Yahoo auctions are SO stressful when using a proxy, I have no idea how people manage.
I got Airi's birthday pins through my usual connection but didn't get one of them, so I found it on Yahoo auctions this morning and decided to use a proxy to get it (because I doubt I'd see it again anytime soon) and sitting there waiting for 3 hours made my stomach hurt. (I won it btw.)
Shoujo Q

Favorite Idol: Suu-san

Postby Celedam » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:17 am

My random thought for the day: I'm really digging the productivity concept of Clear To Neutral (CTN)…

http://www.asianefficiency.com/habits/clearing-to-neutral/

It's something I already did in many parts of my life — I can't stand a messy kitchen — but having it formalized and then applying it to other parts of my life is helping me to deal with some deeper issues.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby erilaz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:57 am

Shoujo Q wrote:Yahoo auctions are SO stressful when using a proxy, I have no idea how people manage.
I got Airi's birthday pins through my usual connection but didn't get one of them, so I found it on Yahoo auctions this morning and decided to use a proxy to get it (because I doubt I'd see it again anytime soon) and sitting there waiting for 3 hours made my stomach hurt. (I won it btw.)

What proxy did you use? When bidding on goods (as opposed to concert tickets) on Yahoo Auctions Japan, I normally use From Japan, which has an interface that makes bidding very easy. Once you know how to use it, it's no more stressful than bidding directly on eBay. There's still the "will I win?" stress involved when bidding on a particularly desirable or hard-to-find item, of course, but the fact that you're using a proxy doesn't add to it.
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:42 pm

I spent a successful seven hours at the WESTPEX stamp show today. First and foremost, I accomplished my goal for the show, which was to fill every gap in my album of mint, never hinged, U.S. postage stamps* from 1931 to 2005, with the exception of one high-priced item that I'm still lacking (the alternate Bugs Bunny pane from 1997, which catalogs at $175 and sells for at least $60 on eBay). To reach my goal, I only had to buy two dozen items, and the total cost was only around $20.

* I'm excluding such things as postal stationery and revenue stamps, but not such "back of book" items as airmail, special delivery, official, and postage due stamps (i.e. actual stamps that served some postal function).

In addition, I bought a number of items of topical interest, including half a dozen Esperanto postcards from 1912-15 (ranging from $2 to $4 each), as well as some much needed supplies. Yay!
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Postby Zunu » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:49 pm

Random: The woman in this cm is unexpectedly esxy. :fear:

Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

Postby TotallyUncool » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:01 pm

:mikihead:
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Celedam » Mon May 01, 2017 1:46 pm

It's Sunday night, so i'm playing my Demento-inspired playlist, and this just came up…

With or without the movie, it's a great song in its own right.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Starra » Mon May 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Weird Al's great in general. He also seems like a really nice guy behind the scenes, which is always good to hear about. He's the only English-language artist I listen to, and I think that that says a lot about me :lol:.
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・上國料萌衣・清野桃々姫・山﨑愛生・鞘師里保・須藤茉麻♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby esm » Tue May 02, 2017 3:31 am

Zunu wrote:Random: The woman in this cm is unexpectedly esxy. :fear:

I don't see it. :|

edit: Oh, I just realized it's the name.
esm
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Moh » Wed May 03, 2017 3:12 am

I went for my endoscopy/colonoscopy results today!
Spoiler: show
Good news: No cancer or infection, so I'm not dying. Hooray!
Bad news: GERD, internal hemorrhoids, and ulcerative colitis.

I'm... not super surprised by the hemorrhoids or UC. My mom has internal hemorrhoids. I have a lot of the UC symptoms.
At least it's something treatable! Not really looking forward to having another scope in a year, though. :|

They gave me prescriptions for Protonix (GERD) and Lialda (UC). Typical pharmacy says they won't be ready until tomorrow. :roll:
Moh
Prophet

Postby TotallyUncool » Wed May 03, 2017 5:05 am

Moh: Those are pretty good results overall - congratulations!
(I recently read about some interesting new research about the causes and mechanisms of UC - I don't recall the details, but it sounded like the kind of thing that could eventually make it much easier to effectively treat and manage.)
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby erilaz » Wed May 03, 2017 2:36 pm

Remember that Hello! Morning。 segment that became a viral video and internet meme? It's now been referenced in an AT&T commercial:

(See item V, starting at 0:55.)
erilaz

Postby DSQueenie » Wed May 03, 2017 9:42 pm

erilaz wrote:^ Yeah, the AKB48 theater is on the 8th floor of the Don Quijote, which is on same street as the H!P shop (a few blocks south, on the other side of the street).

So in the end I went to the theatre and it was closed! But I talked to some people in the arcade on F7 and they said that you can go into the reception without a ticket but there aren't tours around the actual stage unfortunately.

I loved the seating area in the H!P store where you can watch concert DVDs. Also the H!P shop was so much cleaner than the Don Qujiote!
I used to have a Tumblr about Idols...
DSQueenie
Minion

Postby erilaz » Thu May 04, 2017 1:25 am

I went to the H!P shop on a Sunday, and "Entertainment unit" Usain-Xain had a live event in that seating area, watching and discussing Morning Musume。 videos and putting on a performance themselves.
erilaz

Postby resop2 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Quick question for the tech savvy folks out there. I haven't looked at skype since Microsoft bought it. Is there a similar tool that the cool kids use now?
resop2
Skeptic

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu May 04, 2017 2:21 pm

Af riend and I had a Skype-style conversation (voice + live video) on Facebook Messenger the other day, but we're both ancient beatniks, so I don't think that counts.

The official weeaboo-friendly social-media platform with Skype-like capabilities seems to be Line...
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Shoujo Q » Fri May 05, 2017 5:06 am

erilaz wrote:
Shoujo Q wrote:Yahoo auctions are SO stressful when using a proxy, I have no idea how people manage.

What proxy did you use? When bidding on goods (as opposed to concert tickets) on Yahoo Auctions Japan, I normally use From Japan, which has an interface that makes bidding very easy. Once you know how to use it, it's no more stressful than bidding directly on eBay. There's still the "will I win?" stress involved when bidding on a particularly desirable or hard-to-find item, of course, but the fact that you're using a proxy doesn't add to it.

I used From Japan, I only use it in extreme emergencies. (I NEED THE THING NOW and CAN'T WAIT) The stressful part is the waiting game of watching the auction. Since I only use YAJ for rare, hard to find things I can't normally obtain, it's stress on top of stress.

Speaking of stress. I'm running a contest for my company on Instagram, we're giving away a guitar pedal that we make. This is my first time running a contest like this. People don't seem to read directions very well. (Like at all.) For far we got 21 people, but of those I think only 4-5 qualify. I have no idea how I could have made myself clearer. I really want to prove myself. Our guitar pedal company isn't exactly doing very well and I want to try and save it. Of course I have no idea what I'm doing, so it stresses me out.
Shoujo Q

Favorite Idol: Suu-san

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project