Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Postby TotallyUncool » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:46 pm

I missed the Puffy gig in L.A. entirely -- too tied up with work and other things, and I didn't even realize it was happening until it was over. Ah, well -- I'll do my best to catch them next time...
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby rikkikow » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:31 pm

^^ I had never gone to one before so I probably will go and check it out. Maybe by Saturday the rain will be over. "Social Hall SF" sounds commie to me but we are talking San Francisco after all.
Who are we?
rikkikow
Minion

Postby erilaz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:05 am

^ The forecast is showing light rain Saturday morning, but the afternoon looks like it might be okay. This is the 50th anniversary of the Cherry Blossom Festival, so this year would seem to be an optimal time to go.

The Regency Center was the Scottish Rite Masonic Temple once upon a time, so presumably the Social Hall was just its old social hall.
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby resop2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:52 am

There is only a 10 foot wide alley that separates my apartment building from the apartment building next door. Normally, this would not be a problem but the neighbor closest to my windows blasts super loud music frequently. Usually, I would not care (this is a college town after all) but the neighbor has a weird habit of blasting loud music a 2AM on weeknights. Weekends I could sort of emphasize with, but weekdays? I have called the police on the neighbor over a half dozen times but after a cooling off period the neighbor goes right back to it. I have often wondered why this moron just doesn't get headphones like the rest of modern civilization, but recently I made an odd discovery: looking at the bluetooth list on my computer I saw it picking up an oddly named entity "TheBlackLounge-2G", and a google search revealed that this is a name associated with a local garage band/DJ or whatever the young folks call it these days. This makes me think that they are not going to stop anytime soon and may persist after the end of the school year. I don't quite know what to do except keep calling the cops every time they break the city noise ordinance (no loud music after 10PM without a permit) and hope that the entire apartment building gets shut down as a public nuisance. On a brighter note, the police have told me that I am not the only person calling in and making complaints.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby Celedam » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:33 am

^ Sue the owner of that building for failing to ensure that its tenants obey the relevant ordinances and not disturb the peace. Sue the owner of your own building for failing to ensure that its tenants can enjoy their apartments in peace. You're not getting what you pay for, after all. Go door to door in both buildings and find everyone else that might want to join the suits. In short, organize a tenants' union. I don't know what provisions your leases might contain regarding something like this, but the owners shouldn't be able to bust up such a union if it is organized to resolve a single outstanding issue. Thoroughly document everything, including every incident from now on, and get the police reports on the past incidents, if possible.

In my experience, the biggest hurdle to getting something like this resolved is that everyone thinks they're the only one who is disturbed so it's futile to do anything about it. No one wants to be seen as that uptight neighbor who complains about every little thing. But once everyone realizes everyone else is disturbed as well, you'll quickly find strength in numbers.

Whatever happens, don't threaten to do anything that you're not prepared to actually do (e.g., withhold rent, move out). Your threats must always be credible. If you can't or won't follow through, then you'd better learn to live with the noise.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:20 am

Some years ago I had an issue with noises in the neighborhood and I wound up getting a white-noise-machine alarm clock, although these days I would use an app like TMSOFT.com's "White Noise." People can often quickly acclimate ourselves to uniform machine generated noise, and that noise can drown out other external sounds. A super-cheap alternative would be to turn your stereo to static and turn it up loud enough so you can't hear the neighbor's music.

Although it worked for me I can't be sure that it would work for everyone. Another friend of mine recently was having problems sleeping but when I suggested the "White Noise" app she looked at me in total horror, saying she needs no less than 100% quiet. In my case I have an affinity to uniform ambient noise because I spent many happy nostalgic summers as a child at my aunt's high-rise apartment overlooking NYC's East River. She lived next to a busy highway and after a while the white-noise like sound of the traffic far below lulled me to sleep. Come to think of it my first apartment when I moved out on my own was also next to a busy highway, but quite a bit closer to street level.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: ベッキー♪♯

Postby Starra » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:48 pm

Updates about things, thankfully not bad ones.
Spoiler: show
My mum's having a mastectomy in about a month, after which I'll be going to stay with my dad in Australia. He's going to take me to Japan for 2-3 weeks while my mum's having treatment (radiotherapy/chemotherapy, which have to be done in a different city).

It looks like my mum will hopefully be okay since they caught the cancer early enough, but we'll see. She'll have people looking after her (because I'm not exactly good at that, lol) and I think it's best for me to just stay away for a bit. Her friends can look after the cats if there's nobody home for weeks.

My parents are determined to get me to Japan, so that's good at least. I feel bad but I really do want to go and see ℃-ute, so...
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・小関舞・上国料萌・須藤茉麻・清野桃々姫・前田有紀・相川茉穂・石田亜佑美・平家みちよ・岡田ロビン翔子・ジュンジュン・RuRu♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby TotallyUncool » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:22 pm

That does sound like good news, overall - I hope everything works out well!
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Moh » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:46 am

Spoiler: show
I hope your mom's treatments go well, Starra. :flowers:

Too many issues w/ my house. First it was mold, now it's the old, half-assed plumbing. And they haven't even started the mold remediation yet. :|

At least we have neighbors nice enough to let us stay at their place but man. I want my house back. :/
Moh
Prophet

Postby TotallyUncool » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:20 pm

Which reminds me - I need to clean the bathrooms (and fix the sink drain). XD
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Celedam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:24 am

That moment when you get out of the shower and see a dark spot on your leg that you never noticed before… and then you put on your glasses and see it's just a loose thread that stuck to you from the towel.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby resop2 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:02 am

My post nasal drip has made a return. Nothing horrible yet, but today I was so exhausted that I have taken two naps so far.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby rikkikow » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:06 am

I'm sitting in my car in front of my house this morning and I see this going up the street. They must be lost. They were going up the side street. I think I heard one say, "I think the place is around here. I'm sure of it." :lol:
Who are we?
rikkikow
Minion

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:37 am

It's been so long <3
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby LiamMusume » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:55 pm

This is the only reason I come to this thread :thumbs-up:
Mitsui Aika - Wada Ayaka - Iikubo Haruna - Hagiwara Mai - Nomura Minami - Ogata Risa
LiamMusume
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Mitsui Aika

Postby boinsie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:22 pm

The thread title never forgets.
boinsie
Guru

Postby Shoujo Q » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:02 pm

Spring has truly come when the ducks migrate back to this thread.
Shoujo Q

Favorite Idol: Suu-san

Postby rikkikow » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:07 pm

Duck Story
This evening I was walking around the neighborhoods but saw no sign of the ducks anywhere. As I got home my neighbors were parking their car. As we discussed whose garbage container it was taking up parking, I asked if they had seen the ducks, that I had seen them walking up the middle of the cross street. The wife said: “They were here, two males and a female!” She got it right. I said maybe they didn’t like the garbage container and were leveling up. :lol:
Who are we?
rikkikow
Minion

Postby TotallyUncool » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:46 pm

The Neighborhood Improvement Duckmittee. XD
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Denki » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:34 am

Adding more ducks to this thread.
モーニング娘。'16 ☆ アンジュルム ☆ カントリー・ガールズ ☆ つばきファクトリー
☆ 生田衣梨奈・羽賀朱音 ・横山玲奈・牧野真莉愛 ☆ 佐々木莉佳子・笠原桃奈 ☆
☆ 梁川奈々美 ☆ 和田桜子 ☆ 新沼希空・小野田紗栞 ☆ 山崎夢羽 ☆
Denki
Devotee

Favorite Idol: えりぽん

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project