Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Postby boinsie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:00 pm

This weekend I had to say goodbye to my dogface Rajah. He was 10 and a half, and was a great buddy up until the end.
I'm doing alright, but I miss him a lot... the house feels lonely. But we're moving soon, so I'll have a bunch of packing and stuff to distract myself with.
Pretty dog photos~ :heart:
Spoiler: show
Image Image
boinsie
Guru

Postby TotallyUncool » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:00 pm

That's so dad -- I think he had become a part of all of our lives! Rajah, you will be missed!
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Starra » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:20 pm

Losing a pet always sucks... At least you know he had a good life and was loved heaps :hear:.

DSQueenie wrote:I went to the Hello!Project shop yesterday - it was closed lol It's in a busier part of town than I realised. But the AKB48 shop is unavoidable, the minute you step out of the station it's there.

I bought Kanon's graduation single for about 1,500円 which isn't too bad.

Is the H!P shop easy enough to get to? It's the thing I want to do most while I'm in Japan :fear:.
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・小関舞・上国料萌・須藤茉麻・清野桃々姫・前田有紀・相川茉穂・石田亜佑美・平家みちよ・岡田ロビン翔子・ジュンジュン・RuRu♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby TotallyUncool » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:59 pm

DSQueenie: it soulds like you're having a great time in Japan!

Moh: I don't think you're really missing anything by not looking at the panoramic pictures. XD
I hope that the results turn out to be useful and not bad.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby rikkikow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:01 am

Cow News :lol:
:fear:
Who are we?
rikkikow
Minion

Postby erilaz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:03 am

Sorry to hear about Rajah, boinsie. :sad:

Starra wrote:Is the H!P shop easy enough to get to? It's the thing I want to do most while I'm in Japan :fear:.

It's very accessible: less than half a kilometer from JR Akihabara Station, but right outside of Suehirochō Station on the Ginza subway line.
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby boinsie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks, you guys. Critters give you hundreds of great days, and only a few really bad ones. I'd say it's a worthwhile tradeoff. :heart:

Moh- Glad it went well! Good luck on your results!!
rikkikow - I was expecting front yard cows. But, good enough. XD
boinsie
Guru

Postby Zunu » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:25 am

Oh my god dog not Rajah. I'm so sorry boins. I loved that dog... from a very safe distance. He was so doggy, spreading himself all over the place, tearing up your furniture, wearing various guilty expressions, levitating your balls.

I went and looked at some of the pix you've shared with us over the years of Rajah Ross. I think maybe this one is my favorite...hope you don't mind:

Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: ベッキー♪♯

Postby Zunu » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:27 am

Also thanks for deporting the russkies. :fear:
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby boinsie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:36 am

My husband has that photo up at work. XD
And I don't mind Russians in general, it's just the ones who want to sell my constituents on active wear and power tools! :hehe:
boinsie
Guru

Postby Moh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Sorry about Rajah, boins. :( Losing a pet always stinks.
Moh
Prophet

Postby resop2 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:51 am

If you have PND then having your chest go "Kyun" is not considered a good thing.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby rikkikow » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:44 pm

Street News.
:whistling:
The garbage container on the street is gone. :P
Who are we?
rikkikow
Minion

Postby Starra » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:05 pm

So my laptop battery died/is dying... My laptop only works with the charger plugged in even though the battery says it's fully charged.

I have had this thing for like 3 years and have been using it every day so I'm honestly not that surprised, lol. I'm thinking of just buying a new laptop but I also kind of want out of the Apple market (Apple sucks now) and I have no idea where to even begin with non-Apple products. Does anyone have any suggestions for a durable, reliable laptop?
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・小関舞・上国料萌・須藤茉麻・清野桃々姫・前田有紀・相川茉穂・石田亜佑美・平家みちよ・岡田ロビン翔子・ジュンジュン・RuRu♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby TotallyUncool » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:20 pm

I pretty much stick to desktop systems, so I'm not the best judge of laptops, but I do know that the company I work for buys (desktops and laptops) from Dell, and has stayed with Dell for quite a long time.

I bought a 64-bit Dell Latitude laptop at a thrift shop last year (for $19.95!), and even though it's old (mid-2000s, I think) and had probably not been treated well by its previous user (a restaurant manager somewhere in Texas - I think it was owned by the franchise, and is missing a key), it works well, and is pretty fast and powerful, given its age. (It had a completely crapware-ridden, dysfunctional installation of Win XP on it when I bought it, so I wiped the HD and installed Mageia Linux 64-bit.)

I'd say that at a minimum, any new laptop should be 64-bit (just about everything new is now), with at least 4 GB of RAM. I don't know what HD size is standard with laptops now - I'd think it should be 1 TB at least, but they may still be shipping them with too little internal storage. At least external HDs are relatively cheap now. (I just checked at the Fry's Electronics site, and it looks like some of them still ship with 500 or even 320 GB HDs, but 1 TB is common.)
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Celedam » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:32 pm

Starra wrote:I also kind of want out of the Apple market (Apple sucks now)

I don't want to agree with this sentiment, but I do. I've been a Mac guy for 25 years, even through the dark days of the mid-90s, and I'm just not feeling it anymore.

The thing is, Windows is still worse somehow. The subscription model for the OS and major apps, the constant updates, the cryptic error messages, the Metro-style UI that should never be on a non-touch device (but is), the ads and tracking, the slowness and unreliability of OneDrive (compared to Dropbox, iCloud, Google Drive), and so on.

So I remain a Mac guy, nursing my old hardware while dreading the new.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 am

I think computers as a whole suck more these days.

• Locked-down configurability means fewer support calls and also means [you think] your support team needs less extensive training and can be more easily outsourced and paid less.
  • Security is computationally intractable and any bandage applied potentially becomes a vector for a new infection.
  • OS vendors have moved increasingly in the direction of the end user being the product instead of the customer.
  • Particularly, the success of mobile phones has convinced vendors that consumers as a whole don't care about being spied on and having our preferences and activities sold.
  • IP law/DRM means that we've lost the right to examine, repair, tinker with our own machines, and have made being a startup risky because your implementation is going to be tethered down by a web of patents.
  • (Maybe Stallman was right after all about the perils of LGPL and BSD much less Ms-PL and the like.)
  • F2P/freemium/subscription apps have taken a dump on the profitability model of honest full-retail applications.
  • The endless beta cycle means that developers don't have to make things work. It's just a beta, stop whining and wait for the next "free" "upgrade," ya losers.

That last one is I think the most troublesome of all. People are distracted by shiny new features, no matter how half-baked, and will gravitate toward the latest shizz over boring ol bugfixes. The law of diminishing returns means that it's not even cost effective for developers to polish their software any longer. And since the same issue applies to devkits, the app developer is often working with half-broken tools anyway.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby Celedam » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:11 am

I work in industrial automation, so I'm elbow-deep in those configuration and support issues. And even in our business — which is all about connecting hardware (PLCs, sensors, actuators) to software (OPC, SCADA, ERP), in any way that suits the customer's needs — I see a move towards pre-configured systems and SaaS.

Frankly, I think it's due to pressure from finance/accounting departments to lease instead of buy. Not just I.T. equipment but all capital expenditures. And those departments are simply relaying the pressure they feel from government regulations and tax laws. The idea is to make it as easy as possible to liquidate a company at any time, for any reason.

It's been like that for a while in the business market, and now it's trickling into the consumer market. Younger consumers are coming to the conclusion — either on their own or with some "help" — that it's foolish to own things outright. Owning things ties you down. Experiences are more important than things. And I'd be lying if I said I don't feel that way myself sometimes, even at my age and knowing what I know about this stuff. I justify it by calling it "minimalism".

This exact issue is a frequent topic of debate between my father and myself. My father is old-school, born during the Great Depression, raised during World War II, and he finds security — both financial and psychological — in owning lots of stuff. He's very concerned that I'm in my 40s and still renting an apartment. I can easily afford to buy but I don't want to, and he can't understand why not.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:29 am

Owning things ties you down.

True, but it also creates an implied bond between you and the manufacturer. Or at least it used to. Without that bond there's even less obligation for things to work properly.

As to your other point, I feel we can be pretty confident that sometime in the next four years US corporations will see a decrease in regs and/or in their enforcement, and possibly lower taxes as well. When that happens will finance departments let the pressure off? Personally I see the existing pressure coming more from big-finance, high-frequency trades and large asset funds that relentlessly seek to maximize profits which come from relentless cost-cutting of any kind, whether it be from lowered taxes, decreased investment, accounting gimmicks, m&a or what have you. At least in terms of Apple, their current effective tax rate is not particularly high in the corporate world but considering their assets, revenue and market cap it's true that even marginal savings for them amount to a huge heap of money, hence the whole Ireland thing. In any event the philosophical shift in the role of government will in the coming years make for an interesting experiment in political economy.

The subscription model for the OS and major apps, the constant updates, the cryptic error messages, the Metro-style UI that should never be on a non-touch device (but is), the ads and tracking, the slowness and unreliability of OneDrive (compared to Dropbox, iCloud, Google Drive), and so on.

I missed that before. Most of which I agree with but I do want to stick up for OneDrive a bit. I have the Office version and it's been nothing but rock solid for me. Unless you mean "unreliable" in terms of its morphing feature set, e.g. is MS going to suddenly change the amount of space they offer the user or if placeholders ("on demand sync") will work or not work this week.

Changing subjects a bit may I gripe about how every site these days seems to think I want autostart video with sound. At least they used to limit it to their desktop versions but now my phone is downloading full-length infomercials it seems. Oh and that modal "sign up to receive our email" pop-up that still pops up even after I've already signed up to receive your god damned email. I could write a book or at least a very long Usenet post about how the web has totally gone to seed compared to the days when we actually used to call it the World Wide Web. Get off my LAN, you punks!

EDIT: About your dad, after her husband died, my aunt recently went from owning a house to, for the first time in 30? years renting an apartment. She said she didn't want to have to be tied down with shoveling show in the winter, other maintenance and routine repair issues, market conditions if she wanted to quickly move, kids moving back in, etc. She feels free and unburdened. At the same time, my mother decided to go from renting to owning an apartment, and it's been nothing but headaches, so many unexpected expenses, insurance issues, etc. Ownership is not for everyone. If I recall correctly you mentioned that you tend to obsessively maintain things in just-like-new condition. With a home, especially if in a floodplain and with a wide seasonal temperature swing, that means being stressed out all of the time.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby Celedam » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:21 am

Zunu wrote:I do want to stick up for OneDrive a bit. I have the Office version and it's been nothing but rock solid for me. Unless you mean "unreliable" in terms of its morphing feature set, e.g. is MS going to suddenly change the amount of space they offer the user or if placeholders ("on demand sync") will work or not work this week.

I'm only using the free version that you get with a Microsoft account, and I had several problems when I tried to upload about 3 GB of files so that I could sync between desktop and laptop. If OneDrive for Business is better, that's good to know, but I'm not ready to commit to Office 365 just yet.

(actually, that's on my to-do list for work. i'm a remote worker so i've been getting away with a non-standard setup, but corporate I.T. is cracking down now. i'm already having VPN issues due to not being part of the corporate domain, and they also want me to upgrade from Office 2013 to Office 365.)

Zunu wrote:Get off my LAN, you punks!

*shakily waves a rubber-tipped walking cane in agreement*
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project